Boards & Commissions


Boards and Commissions play a vital role in city government. If you would like to play a larger role in the community by joining a Board or Commission please print and fill out the application below and return it to the City Clerk's desk at City Hall.




Arts Council - Committed to furthering artistic and cultural initiatives within the community.

Beautification Commission - Enhances the appeal and cleanliness of the community.

Board of Review - Hears tax assessment appeals.

Brownfield Redevelopment Authority - Oversees redevelopment of former contaminated sites.

Civil Service - Enforces personnel and disciplinary matters for Police & Fire Depts.

Downtown Development Authority - Encourages development and redevelopment of downtown business district.

Elected Officials Compensation Commission - Establishes salaries and expenses for all elected officials.

Environmental Sustainability Commission - Promotes recycling, conservation of natural resources, and the preservation of green spaces and wildlife.

General Building Authority - Serves as a financial mechanism to acquire and build any municipal facility.

Historical Commission - Prepares and keeps historical city inventory.

Main Street Hazel Park - Focused on improving and enhancing the Main Street corridor district.

Parks and Recreation Advisory Board - Administers recreational needs and opportunities for residents, projects and facilities.

Planning Commission - Prepares comprehensive plan for City; considers changes to zoning ordinance and recommends all plat changes and modifications.

Youth Assistance - Strengthens youth and families and reduces incidence of delinquency, abuse and neglect through volunteer involvement.

Zoning Board of Appeals - Review zoning appeals from property owners.

The City of Hazel Park will provide necessary, reasonable auxiliary aids and services, such as signers, for the hearing impaired or audiotapes of printed materials being considered at the meeting to individuals with disabilities. All such requests should be attempted at least five (5) days prior to said meeting. Individuals with disabilities requiring auxiliary aid services should contact the City Clerk's Office (111 E. Nine Mile Road, Hazel Park, MI 48030) at (248) 546-4064. Hearing impaired persons may call the TTY equipped MichiganRelayCenter at 1(800) 649-3777 in order to contact the City Clerk's Office.