Fire Department Safety Tips



Fire Home Safety
Please read the following Fire Safety Tips carefully and make sure that everyone in your home understands the importance of fire prevention.

Kitchen
* Never leave cooking unattended.
* Wear short or tight-fitting sleeves when cooking.
* Keep pot handles turned inward so pots can't be pulled down by children.
* If a pan on the stovetop catches fire, cover it and turn off the burner.
* Remove pan from burner - heat source.
  
Basement
* Don't store combustible items such as liquids, solvents, and paints in the basement.
* Store items such as papers or rags in metal containers with a tight lid.
* Keep items like newspapers, clothes etc. at least one foot away from heat sources like radiators, water
   heaters, furnaces or clothes dryers.
  
Bedrooms
* Place smoke detectors inside each bedroom and in all hallways - at least one per floor, including
   basement.
* The Fire Department recommends having a carbon monoxide detector on each floor.
* Never place electrical cords under rugs, radiators, beds, etc.
* Keep a rechargeable flashlight near your bed to see in an emergency.
* Never smoke in bed.

Living Quarters
* Check all electrical appliances for worn or frayed cords or plugs.
* Never leave fireplaces or wood stoves unattended. Dispose of cool ashes in a lidded metal container
* Never leave lit cigarettes in ashtrays. Check around sofas and chairs for smoldering cigarette butts
  before going to bed.
* Keep portable space heaters at least three feet from anything that can burn. Turn heaters off.
  before leaving the house or going to bed.
* Please contact the Fire Department regarding fueled space heaters.
  
Fire Safety Tips
Never leave lit candles unattended.
* Use electrical appliances safely.
* Install smoke detectors on every level of your home especially outside sleeping areas. Test and vacuum
  detectors monthly (dust can impair their effectiveness). Change the batteries at least twice a year.
* Plan and practice your escape - Plan two ways out of every room. Select a meeting place outside the
  house where everyone will gather, and practice your plan often.
* Learn how to use a fire extinguisher and install one on each level of your home, especially in the kitchen,
  basement and garage. Place away from stove or other heat sources, out of children's reach and near an
  escape route. 
* Inspect fire extinguishers monthly, and maintain them according to manufacturer's instructions.
* Make sure your address is visible - the fire department can't help you unless you can be found. Make
  sure the number of your house is visible from the street and is in a lighted area so it can be seen at night.
* Crawl low under smoke - The cleanest air will be closest to the floor. Crawl on your hands and knees to
  get to the nearest safe exit. If possible, cover your mouth and nose with a damp handkerchief.
* Check lamps and ceiling fixtures to make sure wiring is intact. If an appliance smokes or smells, turn it
  off immediately.
* Examine electrical cords before and replace any that are frayed or cracked. Don't overload electrical
  outlets.
* Keep matches and lighters away from children.

How to Get Out Safely
* Stay calm so you can think clearly.
* If the door is closed, feel it from bottom to top with the back of your hand. If it is cool you may open the door. 
* Brace foot and shoulder against the door and open slowly. If there is light smoke, quickly get low and
  crawl to the nearest exit. 
* Stay low and avoid smoke/toxic gases that collect on ceilings. 
* Close all doors behind you. 
* Never use an elevator during a fire. 
* Once out, call the fire department. Never go back to get anything!

If You are Trapped
* Don't panic! If you exert yourself, you will breathe faster and take in more smoke/toxic gases that can
  burn your lungs or knock you unconscious.
* Keep all doors between you and the fire closed and stuff clothing/towels at the bottom of them to keep
  out smoke/gases.
* Open a window.
* Escape through the open window if there is an easy way to the ground (and smoke or flames are not
  rising from the lower floor), or stand by the window, shout for help, wave something and wait for rescue
* If you can't escape and there's a phone in the room, call 911 or Fire Department and report your exact
  location.
* If Your Clothing Catches on Fire  
     ** STOP where you are. Moving or running feeds air to the flames and worsens the fire.
     ** DROP to the ground. Place your hands over your eyes, nose, and mouth to protect the face.
     ** ROLL slowly back and forth on the ground until flames are smothered.
     Seek immediate medical attention