What foods bring rodents into a yard?
• Garbage cans with loose lids, plastic or paper bags and litter
• Pet food - birdseed on the ground, pet food in pet dishes, breadcrumbs, etc.
• Fruits and berries that have fallen to the ground
• Compost piles
• Dog droppings
Do not give food and shelter to rodents!
Make sure that you:
• Stack fire wood 18 inches off the ground and away from all buildings
• Birdhouses and seed should be on poles and in trays
• Keep garbage can lids closed tightly
• Plant bushes three feet from house
• Keep yards and alleys clean
• Remove all junk and debris
• Use rodent resistant composters
• Keep food in closed containers that rodents can’t chew through
• Cover all openings to your house